As you all may know, I’ve had several internships under my belt. I’m currently doing my fifth at an awesome tech company in New York City.
Getting ready for your fall internship? Here’s what you should stash in your bag:
- A Tide pen – I may or may not be prone to spills. Namely, coffee or foundation transfers. This pen saves the day.
- Mints – Some workspaces may not be keen on gum chewing, but mints are a safe bet. Self-explanatory – stay fresh! Little Altoid tins work perfectly.
- A rollerball – Spraying fragrances can be quite distracting to those around you. Rollerballs allow you to discreetly apply fragrance whenever you’d like. I’d advise veering towards lighter perfumes – no Dior Hypnotic Poison. My rollerball of choice is of course Elizabeth & James Nirvana White (my signature fragrance and a light peony scent).
- A notebook and a pen – ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have a notebook and a pen with you. It’s impossible to intern without it. I can’t stress this enough. Everything you are learning is important: jot it down. It also allows you to record what you’ve been working on throughout the internship. I am a Moleskine addict – I have more than I can count. Coupled with a Pilot pen, I can write away.
- Petty cash and a MetroCard with money on it – In the event you are asked to run an errand or hop over to the boutique on Madison, it’s good to have a MetroCard ready to go (or other applicable public transit if needed, like a gas card).
- A portable charger – I like to stay connected whenever possible. I am often active on my office messaging system, my email, and Google Maps simultaneously while blasting Spotify. I also watch The Office on my way home these days (it never gets old), so I like to keep my devices charged. Although it’s rather bulky and not so pretty, my New Trent iCarrier has served me well for several years now. Super durable.
- A cute pair of headphones (if your office allows) – If your office is cool with you listening to music, you definitely need headphones on hand. Check out these cute gold ear buds from Marshall or your standard Apple EarPods.
- Cute folders – It’s no secret that I like to stay organized. I like to sort my papers by subject (by event that I’m planning, expenses, PR, etc.) Kate Spade makes these adorable gold polka dotted file folders that I simply couldn’t resist. They’re a little pricey, so if you find something comparable, go for it!
- A long-staying lip color or balm – It is so annoying to touch up your makeup throughout the day – as much as I love makeup. Some days I just go for this lip balm from the Honest Company. My lips have never felt softer and my favorite one smells like an orange creamsicle! Win win.
Start organizing that handbag. Hopefully, this list will help you feel more prepared for your internship and best of luck! XO